How Gas Engineer Software Saves Time And Money (+ Case Studies)
IN THIS BLOG WE’LL TALK THROUGH HOW EXACTLY SOFTWARE CAN HELP GAS ENGINEER BUSINESSES DELIVER EFFICIENCIES AND MEASURABLE ROI.
From scheduling to invoicing, gas engineers face challenges – such as managing jobs, coordinating with clients, and keeping track of paperwork. Not to mention trying to balance all these tasks while also providing high-quality service to your clients.
👉That’s why gas engineers often turn to job management software.
In this blog, you can explore how software can help save time and money by streamlining operations. We’ll also provide real-world examples of gas engineers who have successfully implemented software in their business and seen significant time and cost savings as a result.
If you’re looking to improve your efficiency and effectiveness as a gas engineer, keep reading to learn more about how gas engineer software can help.
INTRODUCTION TO GAS ENGINEER SOFTWARE
Gas engineer software is designed to assist gas engineers in managing and streamlining their business operations. It typically includes features such as job scheduling, invoicing, stock management, documentation management, and customer relationship management (CRM).
In short, the goal of this software is to help gas engineers save time and money by automating or simplifying various tasks and processes.
It also helps improve customer service and communication with clients.
Gas engineer software can be used by both individual gas engineers or by gas engineering companies to manage their operations more efficiently and effectively.
Pssst. BigChange is an example of a leading gas engineer software solution. You can read more about how we help plumbing and heating firms here.
THE TOP 4 BENEFITS OF USING GAS ENGINEER SOFTWARE
#1: Time savings
If there’s one thing gas engineers need more than anything else, it’s more time. ⌚
There are a number of ways the right software can save you time:
- Scheduling and dispatch: The right software can help you schedule and dispatch field engineers more efficiently by allowing you to view and manage jobs in one place. This reduces the time spent on manual scheduling and coordination tasks.
- Invoicing and billing: Gas engineer software automates invoicing and billing processes, making it easier for you to process payments and reduce the time spent on manual billing tasks.
- Document management: Easily manage important documents, such as service reports and invoices, in one central location. This can save time by eliminating the need to search through paper files or multiple different software systems. For example, the right software eliminates repetitive forms and instead allows engineers to verify and tick off all answers in one go.
- Customer comms: Communicate with customers more efficiently by sending updates and alerts via email or text message. This can help to reduce the time spent on phone calls and other manual communication methods.
- Inventory management: Gas engineer software even helps track and manage inventory more efficiently, by providing real-time visibility into stock levels and where stock is and allowing you to place orders as needed. This can save time and reduce the risk of running out of critical parts or supplies.
#2: Cost savings
And one thing we all need more of this year is cost savings. 💰
Here are some of the ways gas engineer software can provide significant savings:
- Improved efficiency: By streamlining and automating various tasks and processes, the right software reduces the time and resources spent on admin tasks. This can lead to cost savings in terms of labour costs and other operational expenses.
- Reduced errors: Job management software reduces errors and improves accuracy in tasks such as billing and documentation management. This can help to reduce costs associated with correcting errors and improving efficiency.
- Stock control: With real-time visibility into stock levels you can place orders as needed. This can help to reduce costs associated with overstocking or running out of critical parts or supplies.
- Asset tracking: Gas engineer businesses can track and manage their field assets better thanks to real-time visibility into the location and status of these assets. Plus, they can even photograph assets as proof for customers or insurance purposes. This can help to reduce costs associated with loss or damage.
#3: Improved customer service
Keeping up with customer expectations is essential in this day and age. 🤝
The right software can improve customer service in a number of ways:
- Improved communication: Digital tools boost communication with customers by sending updates and alerts via email or text message. This reduces response times and improves the overall customer experience.
- Real-time updates: Similarly, you can provide real-time updates on the status of service requests, allowing customers to see when their request has been assigned to an engineer and when it is expected to be completed. This improves transparency and customer satisfaction.
- Self-service portals: Some solutions include self-service portals that allow clients to submit service requests and track progress online… As well as access their full job histories, job cards and certificates. This hugely improves convenience and speeds up the request process.
- Feedback and reviews: You can even use it to gather and manage customer feedback and reviews, giving you key insight to identify areas for improvement and make necessary changes. This can help to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
#4: Improved bottom line
Last but not least, is the impact on the bottom line. 📈
Here are some of the ways gas engineer software improves the bottom line:
- Increased revenue: The right software will help you increase revenue by improving efficiency and productivity. For example, by reducing response times and improving the speed and accuracy of service delivery, you can take on more work and serve more customers.
- Improved business intelligence: Intelligent reporting provides financial information, such as work-in-progress (WIP) reports and profitability forecasts, whilst at-a-glance dashboards provide snapshot information of progress and availability.
- Improve cash flow: Get paid faster by updating jobs and issuing invoices on-the-go (or by automating them).
If you’re convinced of the benefit, you can find out more about the BigChange platform here. Trusted by 50,000 field service workers and back office personnel, BigChange is the leader in job management software.
Alternatively, let’s look at some real-world examples. 👇
REAL-WORLD EXAMPLES OF GAS ENGINEERS USING SOFTWARE TO SAVE TIME AND MONEY
Here are a few examples of real life results:
Gas Smart Heating boosts efficiency by 25%
Before moving to BigChange, Gas Smart had a tool in place, but it quickly proved to be insufficient:
“Our old system was fine at the start, but as we began to recruit more engineers it was clearly not up to the job. What we really wanted was a single system that would do everything.”
“The thing about BigChange is that it can match the functionality of systems costing hundreds of thousands of pounds used by national utility firms. This allows new independent players like Gas Smart Heating to enter the market and match the levels of service provided by the traditional suppliers,”
📕Read more about how Gas Smart significantly improved efficiencies here.
Heatforce boosts customer service and business performance
Before using BigChange, Heatforce relied on several separate systems, spreadsheets and paper records that led to an enormous burden as the company expanded.
“We were inundated with paper and with separate systems it was proving increasingly difficult to manage operations so we knew we needed to completely overhaul everything.”
“BigChange has completely transformed the way we work; having everything in one place with live information at our fingertips gives us a level of control way beyond our original expectations.”
📕You can read more about how BigChange transformed operations here.
MHL heating engineers improve admin efficiency by 90%
In expanding nationally, MHL set out to outsource as many workflows as possible. Through BigChange, the company has transformed efficiency by as much as up to 90%.
“Our engineers are connected in real time to receive and complete jobs, including digital certifications. For our clients, everything is completely seamless and with instant, fully digital reporting including photographs from site, we can meet even the most stringent reporting requirements, including those of facilities management who in turn have to report to their own clients.”
📕You can read more about MHL’s success here.
CHOOSING THE BEST GAS ENGINEER SOFTWARE
While there are a few gas engineer software solutions out there, not every solution is built the same. Here are the best features to look out for:
- Is it an all in one solution? For example, does it include job tracking, invoicing, GPS tracking, and CRM?
- Can engineers update jobs in real-time via a mobile app? Check to make sure there is a mobile app and at the same time, make sure the tool is easy to use.
- Can it store gas safety documents (safely and securely)? Does it provide an easy to access digital library of COSHH certificates, safety documents, and more?
- Does it automate essential workflows? For example, can it trigger alerts to notify engineers when new jobs arrive on their mobile device? And can it send customers notifications?
- Can it streamline invoicing? And does it enable you to issue an invoice and job sheet as soon as the job is complete? Also check if it easily integrates with other systems, such as Xero.
- Does it capture customer CRM data? Can you view customer quotes and invoices? And provide real-time engineer and job status updates?
📕Related: How to choose the best gas engineer software.
READY TO ADD GAS ENGINEER SOFTWARE TO YOUR TOOLKIT?
The right solution eliminates as many manual processes as possible from your day-to-day work, saving you precious time and effort.
In short, the right software will pay for itself very quickly.
To get started researching and comparing different options, seek recommendations from colleagues, and take advantage of demos offered by software vendors.
You can even book your first demo right now.